Tuesday 17 June 2008

Quick answers

Let me tell you a story. (I know good writing for the web doesn't advocate storytelling - or words like advocate - but this is a good one.)

James and I rode the train home together yesterday. So I'm still reading The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne (see it on Amazon). After reading all about how following Jesus means living with the outcasts and loving when it hurts, I was thinking about how I couldn't ignore the truth of this.

As James and I got off the train and headed out the gate, I was explaining how I felt, saying: "If that's what I believe - and it is - then what am I going to do about it?" At that precise moment, as we were walking, we looked up to see a homeless man who said, "Hello!". We smiled and 'hello'ed back as we continued walking.

So not such a rhetorical question after all.